Well, thank you for joining me and Inhale the Heavy to read my top one hundred albums of 2018. I was lucky and, I think, I had enough time to listen to more than 800 albums last year and most of them shocked me very hard. There were ultimately thrilling and joyful albums, countless brilliant songs and mesmerizing moments that surrounded me and didn’t leave for a long time.
To cut it short, this list includes albums, EPs, demos and singles. Thanks again for joining us and reading this list.
100. Wisdom in Chains – Nothing in Nature Respects Weakness
99. Vreid – Lifehunger
98. Soul Grip – Not Ever
97. Giant of the Mountain – Nature’s Wrath
96. Xenobiotic – Prometheus
95. Secret Cutter – Quantum Eraser
94. Terror – Total Retaliation
93. Grá – Väsen
92. Wake – Misery Rites
91. The Crown – Cobra Speed Venom
90. Split Cranium – I’m the Devil and I’m OK
89. Rabitrup – SWVMPS II
88. Eigenlicht – Self-Annihilating Consciousness
87. Leeched – You Took the Sun When You Left
86. Møl – Jord
85. Bind Torture Kill – Viscères
84. YOB – Our Raw Heart
83. Noise Trail Immersion – Symbology of Shelter
82. Omega Point – The Descent
81. Monotheist – Scourge
80. Autumn Creatures – Funeral Garden
79. Discomfort – Fear
78. Jesus Piece – Only Self
77. Soulfly – Ritual
76. LLNN – Deads
75. Uada – Cult of a Dying Sun
74. In Vain – Currents
73. Huntsmen – American Scrap
72. Abysmal Torment – The Misanthrope
71. Marsh Dweller – Wanderer
70. Inferi – Revenant
69. Molested Divinity – Desolated Realms Through Iniquity
68. Dead Hunt – Dead Hunt
67. Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats – Wasteland
66. Conjurer – Mire
65. Sonance – To Possess You Entirely
64. Wallfahrer – Anthologie Der Abkehr
63. Graf Orlock – An Examination of Violent Cinema, Vol. 1
62. Squalus – Mass and Power
61. We Hunt Buffalo – Head Smashed In
60. Svartidauði – Revelations of the Red Sword
59. Agrimonia – Awaken
58. Estuarine – Sic Erat Scriptum
57. Iskald – Innhøstinga
56. Mayak – Trenches
55. The Atlas Moth – Coma Noir
54. Black Fast – Spectre of Ruin
53. Craft – White Noise and Black Metal
52. Philip H. Anselmo & the Illegals – Choosing Mental Illness As A Virtue
51. Necrophobic – Mark of the Necrogram
50. Immortal – Northern Chaos Gods
49. Saxon – Thunderbolt
48. Bosse-de-Nage – Further Still
47. Sargeist – Unbound
46. The Ugly – Thanatology
45. Hexripper – Demo 2018
44. Verheerer – Maltrér
43. Drawn and Quartered – The One Who Lurks
42. At The Gates – To Drink From The Night Itself
41. Deceased – Ghostly White
40. The Odious Construct – Shrine of the Obscene
39. Anaal Nathrakh – A New Kind of Horror
38. Cult Leader – A Patient Man
37. Voodus – Into the Wild
36. Khôrada – Salt
35. Order ov Riven Cathedrals – Göbekli Tepe
34. Judas Priest – Firepower
33. Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik – Hugsjá
32. Dødsferd – Diseased Remnants of a Dying World
31. Usurpress – Interregnum
30. Súl Ad Astral – Oasis
29. Trappist – Ancient Brewing Tactics
28. Svalbard – It’s Hard to Have Hope
27. Born to Murder the World – The Infinite Mirror of Millennial Narcissism
26. Monstrosity – The Passage of Existence
25. Hate Eternal – Upon Desolate Sands
24. Wasted Theory – Warlords of the New Electric
23. Soreption – Monument of the End
22. Augury – Illusive Golden Age
21. Satan – Cruel Magic
• • • • • • • • • •
20. Abhorrent Deformity – Slaughter Monolith
There were quite a few good brutal death metal albums this year but Abhorrent Deformity have done something bigger, more brutal and phenomenal in Slaughter Monolith with some splendid performances.
19. Respire – Dénouement
Respire’s Dénouement will be on my mind forever as one of the gloomiest, darkest, most sensational and most phenomenal post-black metal albums of all time. Just listen to the song “Haunt”. It cries and it will make you cry.
18. Manes – Slow Motion Death Sequence
Just look at that title. It tells you the whole story. Manes have gone deeper and they have touched the deepest feelings, with pure artistic form.
17. Isenordal – Eternal Winter of the Mind (Single)
They topped my list of best albums of 2017 with Shores of Mourning and they touched my soul once again with this single, which is nothing short of a hypnotic journey.
16. Coheed and Cambria – The Unheavenly Creatures
Now everything looks perfect in Coheed and Cambria’s music. They have returned to their roots and they have made a phenomenal rock opera, which will be remembered as one of their best in their career.
15. Red Apollo – The Laurels of Serenity
Created upon massive sensational hypnotic sludgy soundscapes, The Laurels of Serenity is thrilling from start to finish. Undoubtedly Red Apollo have entered a new era with this album.
14. Ancst – Ghosts of the Timeless Void
Dark, aggressive, reckless, mournful. What did I expect from Ancst?
13. Pig Destroyer – Head Cage
Pig Destroyer have released a new album and they’ve become groovier, and it rules. I can’t get enough of it.
12. In the Woods… – Cease the Day
Accept these words from someone who isn’t a big fan of progressive metal. This album is magnificent. This is beautiful throughout. In the Woods… have given a new spirit to progressive metal with Cease the Day.
11. Alice in Chains – Rainier Fog
William DuVall and Jerry Cantrell killed this record. Alice in Chains are on top of their game with Rainier Fog.
• • • • • • • • • •
10. Encircling Sea – Hearken
A Forgotten Land was a pure blast. Hearken accomplished their mission. This album came from another dimension. “Bloodstone” is a breathtaking start; “Kinsoil” will make you stop breathing.
9. Sagor Som Leder Mot Slutet – II
Sagor Som Leder Mot Slutet’s II is a masterpiece, an epic masterpiece, full of moments that will take to an endless bleak journey. It is one of the best post-rock/metal albums of the decade.
8. A Perfect Circle – Eat the Elephant
Fourteen years wait is over. And it was worth the wait. The circle is complete now. This album is otherworldly.
7. Deicide – Overtures Of Blasphemy
It hasn’t happened since The Stench of Redemption, to have a Deicide record on my top 10 albums of the year. Overtures of Blasphemy has changed the story. This album is Deicide’s new brutal masterwork.
6. Sulphur Aeon – The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos
Gateway to the Antisphere was a terrific record. The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos is Sulphur Aeon’s best album to date. There is outstanding songwriting and performance and it’s combined with brilliant production.
5. Skeletonwitch – Devouring Radiant Light
Skeletonwitch have become… Cascadian black metal? Or they’ve tried something, a bit, different? Devouring Radiant Light stands on top everything Skeletonwitch have recorded, with an impressive, unexpected evolution. “Sacred Soil” is shockingly great.
4. Chapel of Disease – …and as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye
With an album title like this and an album cover like that, I was absolutely waiting for something way more different than what they’d already done. And I wasn’t wrong. That transformation from a typical death metal to a monster like this was beyond my expectations. Chapel of Disease are now dealing with some artistic hypes around their music that is well-deserved.
3. Avast – Mother Culture
Avast’s Mother Nature is something I can’t talk about enough. We have an aggressive, emotional, mournful, crusty blackened post-metal. But Mother Nature is more than that. The best debut album of 2018. Norway has a new band to be proud of.
2. Distances – Diableries
This album didn’t hit me hard at first time before I reach the song “Maybe”. That song made me to go back to the beginning and listen to the whole album one more time. Then that album formed a new meaning for me. Dark post-hardcore, sludge/post-metal with weeping violin tunes lied down the surface. Diableries is killer and cruelly beautiful.
1. Dawnwalker – Human Ruins
I don’t even know where I should start to describe it. One of the most unexpected albums I’ve ever encountered now has become my album of the year. Human Ruins is supposed to be known as a post-metal record, but don’t believe this. That atmosphere, those vocal tunes, those lyrics are taking to somewhere you were always looking for. You will witness the meaning of the beauty and human feelings.